What I read this month
- Dracula’s Guest and Other Weird Stories by Bram Stoker, 2 stars
- The Elephant Keeper’s Daughter by Julia Drosten, 4 stars
- The Five: The Untold Lives of the Women Killed by Jack the Ripper by Hallie Rubenhold, 5 stars
- The Burning Sea (Furyck Saga #2) by A.E. Rayne, 4 stars
- Sawkill Girls by Claire Legrand, 4 stars
- The Queen of the Night by Alexander Chee, 4 stars
Total: 6 books
- 5 Stars: 1 book
- 4 Stars: 4 books
- 2 Stars: 1 book
I enjoyed almost all of my reads this month, as seen from the ratings. I think my favorite read is probably The Queen of the Night by Alexander Chee. I read this book because I had just submitted to a short story contest judged by Chee and wanted to know more about his writing style and found myself a new favorite! I adored this book and the way it was written.
Top Ten Blog Posts + Top Book Review
- Discussion: How I take books off my TBR
- Archive Review: New Moon (Twilight Saga #2) by Stephenie Meyer
- Discussion: Cliffhangers, love ’em or hate ’em?
- Review: Sawkill Girls by Claire Legrand
- Review: A Captive of Wing and Feather (Beyond the Four Kingdoms #5) by Melanie Cellier
- Review: The Ship Beyond Time (The Girl From Everywhere #2) by Heidi Heilig
- Discussion: Historical Fiction
- Archived Review: Breaking Dawn (Twilight Saga #4) by Stephenie Meyer
- Discussion: LGBT+ Rep in Genres
- I DNF’ed a book and need to talk about it
Top Bookstagram Post
Integrate content to Bookstagram
Well, I did manage to be a bit more consistent with my Bookstagram posts. Still, I haven’t come up with weekly goals or regular posts, only posting when I have a spare moment.
Get Patreon supporters?
I still have zero Patreon supporters…
Whittle down TBR to 300 books
For a little while there I was doing pretty well! I got the TBR down by about twenty books just by weeding out titles that had been added in duplicate and books I was no longer interested in. However, I don’t think I’ll be hitting that magical number of 300 this month. I’ve started reading books from my TBR more strictly so long as I have access to them, which has helped!
Keep streak going all month for blog posts!
Now THIS goal I nailed! I’ve maintained my streak for over 40 days and counting!
Hit 200 followers on the blog
Another goal I nailed! I reached the number 200 the same day my May goals post went up haha.
Start tying in more writing content (Spradling’s Scrawlings)
I completely neglected this goal unfortunately. Though I’ve been doing more writing lately (despite my work schedule) I haven’t managed to write something for my writing blog. This is in part because a lot of what I’m writing nowadays I’m attempting to have published, and a lot of contests/submissions I’m looking at have exclusivity rules.
All things considered, I’m not too disappointed by this month. The goals I set in April were meant for a period of time where I would still not be working due to COVID conditions, and so when I accepted my position back in early May and began working full time again, my priorities necessarily had to change. I’m happy with what I did accomplish!