I received a free copy of this short story as well as an ARC of May Day, the first book in Jaffrey’s Seekers series in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts are my own.
What is Killian’s Dead about?
Killian’s Dead is the short story prequel to Josie Jaffrey’s Seekers series. In this prequel, we are introduced to Jack Valentine–the main POV character for the Seekers series. Jack is a teenage rebel, ready to go off to university in the fall but not quite there yet. She sneaks into clubs, parties a bit, and is fascinated by an attractive woman named Winta. When Winta goes missing, Jack takes it upon herself to search for her and gets fare more than she bargained for as a result.
What I like:
- Jack is a very entertaining POV character
- Bisexual rep!! BISEXUAL REP!
- Winta is written convincingly attractive and interesting
- I enjoyed reading Jack’s backstory before diving into the novel, and appreciate getting that chance!
What I didn’t like:
- I wish we actually saw more of Killian, though I get why Jack took an immediate disliking to him
- Not quite enough explanation of the Seekers themselves